A Holiday Message from the Fire Chief:
Canby Fire District Board of Directors, Staff, Firefighters, would like to wish all of our customers a Happy Holiday Season. Thank you all for the continued support this past year and passing the Fire Levy. Jim Davis Fire Chief
Here are a few reminders :
Christmas lights: KEEP THEM SHINING SAFELY
- Use only those lights that have been tested and labeled by an approved testing laboratory and are marked for outdoor use.
- Keep electrical connections off the ground and clear of metal objects.
- Use insulated tape, not metal nails or tacks to hold strings of outdoor lights in place. Never tape the cords either over, under or along metal eaves troughs.
- Tape all plug connections with plastic electrical tape to make them as watertight as possible. Bulbs should face the ground to prevent moisture from entering bulb sockets.
- Only use lights that have been tested and labeled.
- Discard any string of lights with frayed cords, cracked lamp holders or loose connections.
- Do not overload electrical circuits or extension cords, and follow instructions on cord labels for connecting light strings to extension cords.
- Always turn Christmas lights out before leaving home or going to sleep.
CHRISTMAS TREES: PUT SAFETY FIRST
Natural Christmas Trees
Keep your tree as fresh as possible by placing the stump of the tree in a bucket of water out of doors until you are ready to decorate. Before setting up the tree inside the house, trim two inches off the stem diagonally so it can absorb water. By doing that, you will reduce the risk of having a dangerous dry tree in your home. Mount the tree securely in a large, wide based reservoir stand and add water each day to ensure the tree is well watered.
Choose a suitable location for your tree, ensuring that it is well away from all heating sources and clear of all exits.
Never decorate a tree with burning candles. Remove the tree as soon as possible after the holidays.
We wish you a safe and happy holiday season!